Tuesday March 11, 2014
Harpist Miriam Shilling and local actor Philip Reichert will perform a tribute to spring and Celtic heritage with Sylvia Woods' The Harp of Brandiswhiere. The event will the place on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 2 p.m. at the East MOriches United Methodist Church at 370 Montauk Highway, East Moriches, New York (across from Bay Gardens Nursery.) Refreshments will follow.
Tickets are $10 at the door. This is a benefit concert for the church's ministries. For more information, please call the church at (631) 878-0887 or visit Miriam Shilling's website at www.harpist-miriamshilling.com.
To learn about more about things to do in Nassau and Suffolk this month, please visit my March Calendar of Events on Long Island, NY - 2014.
You might also be interested in St. Patrick's Day Events on Long Island and St. Patrick's Day Events for Children on Long Island, NY.Photo © Miriam Shilling
Sunday March 9, 2014
Are you addicted to smoking, but would like to quit? The New York State Health Department has a program that can help and it's free. It started on March 4, 2014 and will continue through April 1, 2014 this year. You can get free nicotine patches or gum to help you kick the habit. Since this program began in 2006, it has helped close to 300,000 adults in New York to stop smoking.
To find out more about this free program, you can call, toll-free, the New York State Smokers' Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487) or you can visit https://www.nysmokefree.com/register to get a free starter kit of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) if you are eligible. You can also talk with a Quit Coach at 1-866-697-8487.
You might also be interested in reading Stop Smoking - Long Island, NY resources.
Thursday March 6, 2014
The Town of Oyster Bay's Distinguished Artists Concert series continues with performances at a variety of libraries throughout the town. These performances are FREE. There was a performance on March 2, 2014 at the Jericho Public Library, and there will be more this month:
- On Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 2 p.m., there will be a salute to legendary divas in a performance entitled Sister Act, at the Hicksville Public Library, 169 Jerusalem Avenue.
- On Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 8 p.m., The Long Island Brass Guild will perform American music in their performance, From Rags to Renaissance at the Plainview-Old Bethpage Public Library, 999 Old Country Road, Plainview, NY.
- On Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 2 p.m., classical pianist Vladimir Zaitsev will perform classical and pop arrangements in a concert entitled From Baroque to Beatles at the Farmingdale Public Library, 116 Merritts Road.
- On Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 2 p.m., the Banjo Rascals will play songs ranging from Scott Joplin rags to Van Morrison's contemporary music, at the Bethpage Library, 47 Powell Avenue.
- On Sunday, March 30, 2014 at 2 p.m., Mambo Loco will play their unique Latin music sound at the Jericho Public Library, 1 Merry Lane.
The Distinguished Artists concert series is sponsored by the Cultural and Performing Arts (CAPA) Division of the Town of Oyster Bay's Department of Community & Youth Services. For more information, please call them at (516) 797-7900.
Learn more about a walking and driving tour of Oyster Bay
To find out about other things to do in Nassau and Suffolk this month, please go to March Calendar of Events on Long Island - 2014.
Thursday March 6, 2014
If you're like me, you might have a long-standing tradition of forgetting when to change the time on ALL your clocks. It's that "spring ahead..." time of year. So tomorrow, Saturday, March 8, 2014, just before you go to sleep, is a good time to set your clocks ahead one hour so you'll be in tune with the rest of us who observe Daylight Saving Time.
You'll lose an hour of sleep tomorrow, but hopefully, you'll gain some sunlight.
You can read more about the history of Daylight Saving Time.