The Prom Boutique helps high school students on Long Island who can't afford dresses for their proms, graduation or sweet sixteen parties.
Nassau Community College Marketing & Fashion students, working in conjunction with the Long Island Volunteer Center will be collecting new and gently used prom dresses, bridesmaid's dresses, and accessories (including dressy shoes, evening bags, and costume jewelry) for the 17th annual Prom Boutique.
Bloomingdale's at Roosevelt Field, Dress Department, Upper Level, launched the collection drive at their prom event on Saturday, March 26, 2011 and will continue to accept donations through April 3 during store hours.
Villanova Alumni Association will be accepting donations at St. Anthony's High School's cafeteria, 275 Wolf Hill Road, South Huntington, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 2, 2011.
There are nine additional collection sites on Sunday, April 3, 2011 from 1-3 p.m:
- Goodwill, 479 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY
- Junior League of Long Island Thrift Shop, 1395 Old Northern Boulevard, Roslyn, NY
- Mulcahy's, 3232 Railroad Avenue, Wantagh, NY
- Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church, 53 Prospect Road, Centerport, NY
- St. John's Episcopal Church, 1670 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor, NY
- St. Mark's United Methodist Church - in the parlor, 200 Hempstead Avenue, Rockville Centre, NY
- St. Paul's Lutheran Church (go to the back doors), 309 Patchogue Road, Port Jefferson Station, NY
- YES Community Counseling Center, 75 Grand Avenue, Massapequa, NY
- Westy Self-Storage, 2400 Marcus Avenue, Lake Success, NY
All dresses and accessories will then be distributed free of charge to girls across Long Island from families that cannot afford the expense of a new prom gown, awards ceremony or graduation event.
Over 1,200 girls benefited in 2010 from 60 different schools and nonprofit youth organizations across Long Island.
For more information, please contact the Long Island Volunteer Center at www.longislandvolutneercenter.org or call (516) 564-5482 .
Looking for some great, inexpensive clothes for yourself? Click to read more about thrift shops on Long Island.
For info on more events, see my April 2011 Calendar of Events.