AshleyMadison.com, a dating site expressly intended for those who are on the prowl for extramarital affairs, wanted to know if there were any specific cities or towns in the greater New York City metropolitan area that seemed to have a larger number of no-good, cheating spouses. The Toronto-based website boasts more than 13 million members around the world, but close to half a million of their subscribers are residents of the greater New York metropolitan area.
In 2012, the New York Post reported on the survey of adultery in our area. The way the survey was conducted, the newspaper explains, was to look at the area codes of their members, and then these were compared to the latest government census data, and they arrived at a percentage. In that way, they could figure out what amount of people in any given town were actually paid members of the website.
The results? Sorry to break the news to all of you who are Nassau or Suffolk County residents, but two Long Island areas came up in the survey's top 10. The number one residence of those who cheat in the NYC metro area? Nassau County's own Great Neck! And last on the list is Garden City, also in Nassau.
Here's the full top 10 list of hyper-adulterous New Yorkers:
- 1. Great Neck (Nassau County, Long Island, New York)
- 2. Park Slope, Brooklyn (Hey... it's not in Nassau or Suffolk Counties, but it's part of geographic Long Island)
- 3.The Upper East Side (Manhattan)
- 4.Forest Hills (Queens, New York -- hey, that's also geographic Long Island)
- 5. TriBeCa (Manhattan)
- 6. New City (Rockland County, New York)
- 7. Douglaston (Queens, New York)
- 8. Riverdale (The Bronx, New York)
- 9. Howard Beach (Queens, New York)
- 10. Garden City (The second one in Nassau County, Long Island, New York)
So what makes some Long Islanders and other New York residents place so high on the cheating spouse scale? According to the New York Post article, Noel Biderman, who is AshleyMadison.com's CEO, didn't cite any particular reason why certain neighborhoods made the shameful grade, but he did note that infidelity seems to occur in all types of demographics. His one guess is that some people in the NY metro area might be more successful and affluent, and this might attract others who want to have affairs with them.