To see where to go and what to do for the rest of January 2013, please see January Calendar of Events on Long Island.
If you have any more suggestions for this list, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks in advance.
Note: This page is updated every year, usually a week or two before the actual date.
1. Annual New Year's Day Seal Walk at the Theodore Roosevelt Nature CenterFrom 1:30 to 3 p.m. on New Year's Day, enjoy a 1 1/2 hour program centering around the seals that visit our area each winter. Remember to dress warmly for this hike. $4 fee per person, and children under 3 may come along for free.
The walk starts at the Theodore Roosevelt Nature Center at Jones Beach State Park.
Advance reservations are required. You may reserve as early as two weeks in advance by calling (516) 785-3614 or (516) 780-3295.
2. Camp Hero State Park - First Day HikeStarting at 1 p.m., enjoy a New Year's Day hike of approximately two to three hours. Join a park naturalist on this scavenger hunt-like hike through Camp Hero. Learn about several local plants and animals. While walking downtown, hear about the history of the buildings and Camp Hero's beginnings.
Hikers meet at the Camp Hero parking lot, located at the bluff (NOT the radar tower.) Please remember to wear warm clothing and comfortable shoes.
Parking is free. Program fee: $4 for adults, $4 for children 3-17, children under three: free.
Registration is required. Please call (631) 668-5000 to register or for more information.
4. The Big Duck
5. What's Open in Long Island Wine Country?Most of the wineries are closed, but a few will be open on New Year's Day:
- Clovis Point Wines, Jamesport, NY, (631) 722-4222, will be open from 12 noon to 5:30 p.m.
- Martha Clara Vineyards, 6025 Sound Avenue, Riverhead, NY, (631) 298-0075, will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Pindar Vineyards, 37645 Main Road (Route 25), Peconic, New York, (631) 734-6200, will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
6. New Year's Day Nature Hike and Lighthouse Tower TourAt the Fire Island Lighthouse. Meet at Robert Moses State Park field 5 at 10 a.m. for a one-hour guided walk around the western end of the National Seashore. If you have binoculars, it's a good idea ton ring them. Walk: FREE. If you want to do the tower tour, it's $6 per person.
Reservations are required. Please call (631) 661-4876.