In order to register to vote on Long Island (and all other parts of New York State):
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- To be eligible to register to vote, you must be at least 18 years of age by December 31st of the year that you file a form. You must be at least 18 years old by the date of the election that you want to vote in.
- You must have lived at your current address for at least 30 days before an election that you want to vote in.
- You may not vote if you are in prison or on parole for a felony conviction.
- You may not vote if a court finds you mentally incompetent.
Where To Register To Vote on Long Island, NY
- Long Island, NY residents may register in person at the Nassau County or the Suffolk County Board of Elections. The Nassau County Board of Elections is located at 240 Old Country Road, 5th floor, Mineola, NY. Their phone number is (516) 571-2411.
The Suffolk County Board of Elections is located at Yaphank Avenue, Yaphank, NY. Their phone number is (631) 852-4500.
- The “Motor Voter” bill, more formally known as the National Voter Registration Act, allows you to register at all Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices when you go there to apply for or to renew your New York State driver’s license or ID card.
- You may also register to vote at a number of New York State agency offices including City Universities of New York (CUNY), State Universities of New York (SUNY), The Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired, The Department of Health – WIC Program, The Department of Veterans’ Affairs, The Office for the Aging, The Office for People With Developmental Disabilities, Workers’ Compensation Board, and other agencies.
- In addition, you may call 1-800-FOR-VOTE or the Nassau County Board of Elections at (516) 571-2411 or the Suffolk County Board of Elections at (631) 852-4500 to ask for a voter registration application.
- In Nassau, you may also send your mailing address to email@example.com/agencies or pick up a form at any local post office, library or motor vehicle office.
- You may also download a PDF version of the New York State Voter Registration Form in English. Or download the New York State Voter Registration Form in Spanish (Formulario de registro de votantes del estado de Nueva York.) After downloading the form, print it out, fill it in and then sign it. Mail the form to your county. In Nassau, send it to The Nassau County Board of Elections, 240 Old Country Road, 5th floor, Mineola, NY 11501. In Suffolk County, send it to Suffolk County Board of Elections, Yaphank Avenue, P.O. Box 700, Yaphank, NY 11980.