Long Island Neighborhoods
- Neighborhood Profiles
- Stony Brook
- Garden City
- Great Neck
- The Hamptons
- Long Beach
- New Hyde Park
- Oyster Bay
- Port Jefferson
- Port Washington
- Rockville Centre
- Walking & Driving Tours
Long Island has fascinating neighborhoods, both on the shore and inland. Get to know more about what to see, where to eat and shop in these areas.
- Sea Cliff
- Best Place To Live On Long Island - share your opinion
- Best Place to Live on Long Island - Readers' Stories
Located on the North Shore of Suffolk County, Stony Brook is home to the State University of New York's (SUNY) Stony Brook University, Stony Brook Village Center, Discovery Wetlands Cruises, The Long Island Museum of Art, History and Carriages, and more.
- Tour of Stony Brook
- Discovery Wetlands Cruises - Stony Brook Harbor
- Free Sunday Summer Concerts in Stony Brook
- Robinson's Tea Room - Restaurant Review
- Walking and Driving Tour of Cold Spring Harbor
- Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum
This Nassau County hamlet is best known for its famed Belmont Park Race Track, home of the Belmont Stakes, the third and final "jewel" in horseracing's famed Triple Crown each June, which follows the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.
Located in the middle of Nassau County, Garden City is an upscale community that boasts fine dining, the elegant Garden City Hotel, a soaring cathedral, a world class aviation museum, a wonderful children's museum and much more.
- Long Island Children's Museum
- Cradle of Aviation Museum
- The Garden City Hotel
- Rein at the Garden City Hotel - Restaurant Review
- Cathedral of the Incarnation
- Mumon Restaurant Review
- Nunley's Carousel at Museum Row
- Akbar Restaurant Review
Located at the very beginning of Nassau County, adjacent to NYC's largest borough, Queens, Great Neck offers upscale shopping, a dazzling array of restaurants and an affluent, sophisticated vibe.
- Laverne of Great Neck Restaurant Review
- TLV – Tel Aviv – Restaurant Review
- Sip City – Restaurant Review
Just the mention of the place name, "The Hamptons" conjures up visions of sprawling beaches, celebrity sightings and a vibrant nightlife. The South Fork of fish-shaped Long Island is divided into two large towns: East Hampton and Southampton. These towns are made up of many villages and hamlets including Bridgehampton, Wainscott, Water Mill, Sag Harbor and much more.
- How To Find A Summer Rental in the Hamptons
- Hamptons Nightlife
- Hamptons Restaurant Week
- The Annual Artists & Writers Charity Softball Game in East Hampton
- Coopers Beach, Southampton
- Main Beach, East Hampton
- World Village Fair Trade Market
- The Annual Hampton Classic Horse Show
- The Hedges Inn, East Hampton
- Southampton Cultural Center FREE Summer Outdoor Concerts
- The Annual Great Chefs Dinner, Bridgehampton
- Georgica Restaurant Review
Located within the Town of Oyster Bay, Hicksville was Billy Joel's boyhood home, and Lorraine Bracco of Sopranos fame was a graduate of Hicksville High School. It's also the home of a great earth science museum, a church with historic doors, and more.
- Trinity Lutheran Church - Ghiberti Gates of Paradise Exact Replicas
- Hicksville Gregory Museum
- House of Dosas - Restaurant Review
Huntington is located on Long Island's North Shore in Suffolk County. The greater Town of Huntington encompasses a number of hamlets, including the hamlets of Huntington and Melville, as well as villages including Northport and Lloyd Harbor.
- Town of Huntington Attractions
- Book Revue – Independent Book Store in Huntington
- Prime Restaurant Review
- Porto Vivo Restaurant Review
- Besito Restaurant Review
- Jonathan's Ristorante Review
- Ariana Restaurant Review
- Steinway & Sons Piano Gallery of Long Island
- Review of Wild Flours - Gluten Free Bakery & Cafe
- Live Island Cafe
- Bel Posto Ristorante
- Nathan Hale Memorial Stone
This beautiful barrier island in southwest Nassau County boasts sprawling sands, an extensive boardwalk, free summer concerts and much more.
- Long Beach FREE Summer Concerts
- New Boardwalk in Long Beach
- Tour of the Beachfront at Long Beach
- Long Beach Hosts International Surfing Competition
- Kennedy Plaza Farmers Market, Long Beach
- Bob's Natural Foods - Restaurant Review
- Long Beach Heritage Tour
- The Annual Long Beach Polar Bears Super Bowl Splash
Located on the North Shore of Nassau County, Manhasset is noted for its "Miracle Mile" of shopping, including the world-class Americana Manhasset shopping center. The greater Manhasset area includes upscale neighborhoods like Plandome and Plandome Heights.
- Profile of Manhasset
- The Americana Manhasset
- Apple Store, Manhasset
- Whole Foods Market, Manhasset
New Hyde Park
The village of New Hyde Park is located in Nassau County near Floral Park, Garden City and Glen Oaks.
- The American Guitar Museum
- The Back Room Trattoria at Iavarone Brothers
- Madras Woodlands Restaurant Review
The former home of our 26th president, Theodore Roosevelt, Oyster Bay features historic sites and homes, free summer concerts, a beach and more on the North Shore of Nassau County
- Oyster Bay Walking & Driving Tour
- Oyster Bay Free Summer Concerts & Movies
- Fourth of July at Sagamore Hill
Located in the Town of Brookhaven in Suffolk County, Port Jefferson graces the North Shore of Long Island. With quaint boutiques and excellent restaurants, the area hosts an annual Charles Dickens Festival and other events. A ferry goes from this port to Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Located on a peninsula on the North Shore of Nassau County, Port Washington has much to offer, including a lovely waterfront on Manhasset Bay, a park featuring outdoor concerts in the summer, a variety of restaurants, an outdoor organic farmers' market and much more.
- Walking Tour of Port Washington's Waterfront
- The Port Washington Organic Farmers' Market
- Louie's Oyster Bar & Grille Restaurant Review
- Interview with Long Island Artist Rachelle Krieger
- Sandminers Monument Park
In Suffolk County, where fish-shaped Long Island's "tail" turns into a fork, Riverhead offers a world-class aquarium, children's science museum, a nature cruise, superb shopping and much more.
- Atlantis Marine World
- Atlantis Explorer Tour Boat Cruises
- Tanger Outlet Center, Riverhead
- Riverhead Farm Stands
The incorporated village of Rockville Centre in Nassau County, NY lies 25 miles east of midtown Manhattan, just a 15-minute drive from Kennedy Airport and a 35-minute ride to Penn Station on the Long Island Rail Road. The village boasts a wealth of restaurants and is home to Molloy College, a library, its own soaring Roman Catholic cathedral, St. Agnes, and more.
- Aperitif Bistro & Wine Bar Restaurant Review
- 3 Brothers Pizzeria Restaurant Review
- Revolution Yoga, Rockville Centre
Located in Nassau County, the village of Roslyn is known for its historic clock tower, its quaint streets, tranquil ponds and a number of excellent restaurants. Greater Roslyn includes several villages like Searingtown and the hamlet of Roslyn Heights.
- Nassau County Museum of Art - Sculpture Garden
- Limani Restaurant Review
- The Jolly Fisherman & Steak House Restaurant Review
- Thyme Restaurant & Café Bar Review
- Trattoria Diane
This Suffolk County town boasts the Caleb Smith State Park Preserve --with its free nature museum for the kids-- as well as Blydenburgh County Park, a statue of a bull, and much more.
- Caleb Smith State Park Preserve
- Harmony Vineyards
- Annual Heritage Country Fair, Smithtown
- Review of Shiki Japanese Restaurant
- Review of H2O Seafood Grill
Walking & Driving Tours
No matter how long you've lived here, there's always more of Long Island to explore. Find out about walking and driving tours on the Island.