1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Where Can I Complain About Problems With Gift Cards on Long Island, NY?

- Find out where you can report problems with gift cards


See also my article on: Before You Buy Gift Cards on Long Island, NY

Gift cards can be a handy way to give family or friends the means to buy exactly what they want. You don't have to worry about picking out the wrong gift for them and your family or friends won't have to go through the hassle of exchanging gifts that they don't want or need.

They're great as last minute gifts because you can buy gift cards immediately at retail stores with cards for their own merchandise, or even supermarkets that may sell gift cards for nearby restaurants> or other goods. You can also download printable cards from reputable online sites. But when things go wrong, or if you think there are unfair practices or terms, there are several places where you can turn to file a complaint about companies that issue gift cards that have not met your expectations.

If you have a problem with a gift card that you purchased on Long Island or other place in New York State, you can contact the following to register a complaint:

The Customer Service Department of the retailer where you purchased the gift cards. This is the first place to go to ask about help with unfair terms or practices.

If your complaint is not addressed in a satisfactory manner, then you can go to any one f the following places:

If your gift card was issued by a retailer, you can go to one of the following to register a complaint:

  • The New York State Better Business Bureau at www.newyork.bbb.org. Go to their website and click on "File A Complaint." They also have a Guide To Gift Card Giving.

  • The Federal Trade Commission Go to their website at www.ftc.gov to register a complaint, or you may also call them at (877) FTC-HELP (877-382-4357.)

  • The New York State Attorney General has a Consumer Helpline. You can call them toll-free at (800) 771-7755. Also, to read about a wealth of tips for consumers, you can visit their website at www.ag.ny.gov, the website of the Office of the Attorney General of New York State. (To contact the Attorneys General of other states, you can visit www.naag.org, the National Association of Attorneys General, for a listing and contact information.)

  • The New York State Department of State - Division of Consumer Protection at www.consumer.state.ny.us. You may also choose to call their toll-free Consumer Assistance Hotline at (800) 697-1220.

If your gift card was issued by a national bank, then you can go to the following to register a complaint:

  • Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) The OCC is in charge of regulating and supervising national banks. If you have a problem with a gift card that you bought at a national bank, you can call the OCC's Customer Assistance Group at (800) 613-6743. You may also email them at customer.assistance@occ.treas.gov

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.