Fruits and vegetables that are locally grown and picked at their peak are available in a number of areas around Long Island, New York, If you live in or near the Town of Brookhaven, or if you're in other parts of Nassau or Suffolk Counties, but want to take a drive to the town, you'll find a number of farm stands where freshly picked produce is for sale.
Here's a list of some of the farm stands in the area.
- Deer Run Farms, 282 South Country Road, Brookhaven, NY, (631) 926-9946 features a number of crops, and specializes in lettuce, cabbage and spinach. Hours: Monday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Call to find out what's in season and available for purchase.
- Glover Farms, 633 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven, New York, (631) 286-2226 and (631) 332-2012. The farm is generally open from June through early September. Hours: Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Fridays: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., and on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. In the fall, the farm features pumpkins and a haunted maze plus other family activities.
- Olish Farms, Eastport Manor Road, Eastport, New York, (631) 325-0539. The farm is open every day from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the spring and through the end of the year. They sell vegetables, fruits and pies at their farm stand.
- Benner's Farm, 56 Gnarled Hollow Road, East Setauket, New York, (631) 689-8172. The farm books birthday parties, class visits, and more, as well as a maple sugaring event in late February. There are also workshops for adults, concerts in season, colonial programs, festivals and more. The farm is a privately-owned, 15-acre family homestead that was first farmed in the 1700s. Since the late 1970s, the land has been farmed organically.
- Lenny Bruno Farms, 740 Wading Rive Road, Manorville, New York, (631) 591-3592, email@example.com. This family-owned and operated vegetable farm has been in Manorville for over 90 years. The farm is open every day in season, starting in May, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Among the produce for sale is a selection of sweet corn, English peas, fava beans, broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas and more. Later in the summer, families can pick their own tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, eggplant and flat beans. In the fall, pumpkins abound, as well as Brussels sprouts, squashes, potatoes and cabbage.
- W & K Farms Inc., South Street and Wading River Road, Manorville, New York, (631) 878-8653. Open daily from May through October from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Buy fresh flowers including tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, lilies and more. Produce in season includes black raspberries, celery, sweet corn, cherry and grape tomatoes, onions, peppers and more, as well as an assortment of jams and jellies, apple cider, pumpkins, baked goods and more.
- LaCorte Farm Stand, 339 Montauk Highway, Moriches, New York, (631) 878-9093. The far is open daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from the end of April till December 1st. Buy fruit, vegetables, fruit pies and flowers at this farm stand.
- Andrews Family Farm and Greenhouses, 1038 Sound Avenue, Wading River, New York, (631) 929-5963. Open weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., weather permitting. They are open the week of Thanksgiving. Fresh eggs available daily. Order fresh baked pies by calling (631) 929-0038 and leaving your name and phone number. You'll be called back. For sale in season: winter squash, cabbage, red and golden beets, sweet potatoes, Swiss chard, kale, spinach, turnips, potatoes, and more. Dill, parsley, Brussels sprouts, collards and mustard greens. Pick your own pumpkins from September to October. Corn maze in October. During the holidays, you can purchase Christmas trees, poinsettias, wreaths and more. Check out their Facebook page as well.
- Condzella's Farm Stand, Route 25A, Wading River, New York, (631) 929-5058. Open on weekends from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. U-Pick heirloom tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. In season, purchase strawberries, asparagus, peas, tomatoes, beans, pumpkins, and sunflowers.
- Lewin Farms, 812 Sound Avenue, Wading River, New York, (631) 929-4327. The farm stand is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Wednesday through Monday, and is closed on Tuesdays. The farm is generally open from May through the end of December. U-Pick strawberries in June, Christmas trees in late November to December. A corn maze in season. Apples, peppers, tomatoes and more.
- May's Farm Stand, Route 25A (about one mile east of William Floyd Parkway), Wading River, New York, (631)929-6654. Purchase tomatoes, sweet corn, string beans, peppers, U-pick strawberries, pumpkins and more. Christmas trees in season. Corn maze, pumpkin patch and pony rides for kids in season. Annuals and perennials in the greenhouse.
- Little Red Farm Stand, 434 Yaphank-Middle Island Road, Yaphank, New York, (631) 205-9579. Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from July through October. Fruits and vegetables in seasons, candied apples, roasted corn, corn maze, hayrides, U-pick pumpkins in season.
- Pumpkin Patch Farm Stand, Long Island Avenue, Yaphank, New York, (631) 924-7444. they sell flowers, hanging baskets and potted plants. In season, they have strawberries, lettuce, corn, tomatoes, apples, peaches, fresh herbs, beans, summer squash, winter squash and more. They also sell local cheeses as well as pies, cheesecakes, bread and garden accessories. OPen daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. from May through Thanksgiving.